GIS Professional Certification Management Services
A Certified Professional is usually an individual that has had their professional background scrutinized, reviewed, assessed and approved by an independent third party organization. The approval indicates that the individual has met the minimum standards for educational achievement, professional experience, contributes to the profession, and behaves in an ethical manner that is worthy of he or she being considered as a professional. In the case of the Certified Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP) the independent institution administering the certification is the Geographic Information Systems Certification Institute (GISCI). GISCI is comprised of leading non-profit associations that are focused on the application of GIS and geospatial technology (e.g., AAG, NSGIC, UCGIS, GITA and URISA).
GISP is a portfolio-based certification program developed around a points system. Before an applicant’s portfolio can be submitted for certification he or she must have achieved a minimum of 150 points spread over the categories of Education (minimum 30 points), GIS Experience (minimum 60 points and four years GIS working experience), and Contribution to the profession (minimum 8 points); the additional 52 points can come from any of the three categories.
Similar to any other professional certification, having a GISP provides the holder with a number of benefits both professional and personal. Some of the key benefits to be gain from having a GISP are as follow:
- Greater recognized by colleagues and peers as having demonstrated professional competence and integrity in the field of GIST;
- Boost in self-esteem and personal satisfaction in knowing that you are recognized in your profession;
- Greater recognition from your organization (HR Department) in terms of job title, pay scale, and professionalism;
- A GISP is seen as someone who has established and is maintaining high standards in both professional practice and ethical conduct;
- A role model for aspiring GIS professionals to work towards certification for the purpose of professional development and advancement;
- Facilitate and promote the continuous sharpening of professional skills and ethical performance to cope with changes in GIS technology and the profession.
The GITSPDP team will provide clients with expert advice on the different methods of achieving GISP, courses to follow, activities to be engaged in, and provide them with supporting information on their rewarding journey towards GISP.